Every software engineer know what it's like to be interviewed, but few know what it's like being on the other side of the table giving the interview. It's important to understand this flipped perspective as it will help you resonate with the interviewer.
Here are the core points from the video:
- A good interviewer has 2 core goals:
- Get signal on the candidate's abilities
- Provide a great candidate experience
- Unfortunately, these 2 things usually conflict. In order to get good signal, the candidate often times has to struggle to solve a tough problem. Struggle is generally not associated with good experience.
- A truly good interviewer makes it so that the candidate enjoyed their round even if they didn't pass. This means that you need to get signal in a positive way by building the candidate up and bringing out their true skills without solving too much of the problem for them.