I am actively interviewing for companies and passed hiring committee for Google but there are barely any headcount. I have received some good competing offers and I told my recruiter I have some deadlines coming up. That has not sped up the process and my recruiter isn’t especially communicative after I told him I wouldn’t mind expanding the product area for team match. Should I just accept a good competing offer and come back to team match while working that other job? Also, does anyone have experience finding a new recruiter at this stage? I don’t feel like mine is particularly invested in advocating for my profile despite passing hiring committee.
Should I just accept a good competing offer and come back to team match while working that other job?
If this process has been dragging on for a long time, I think it makes sense to take a competing offer. However, I recommend cutting off this opportunity with Google if you were to do that. Here's why:
That being said, I don't know what your other offers look like relative to Google. If Google is meaningfully different (e.g. 50%+ compensation increase), then it's definitely worth considering. However, it seems like your competing offers are in the same ballpark.
All that being said, your decision here depends on your priorities. Aside from money, there could be something about Google that is particularly ground-breaking to you (e.g. you are very passionate about ML, which Google is arguably the best in the world at). I highly recommend watching our masterclass on choosing the best team/company for you.
Also, does anyone have experience finding a new recruiter at this stage?
I haven't done this myself, but I'm sure it's possible. Your current recruiter has 0 incentive to switch you over as they'll lose your bounty/contribution to their quota, so if you have any other Google recruiters in your inbox, I recommend reaching out to them and letting them know your situation.