I have a new grad offer from Amazon, which was forcefully deferred earlier this year.
I currently work as an SRE (which I don't want long-term), and my offer is for an SDE role in the same team I interned at when I was there pre-layoffs. Plus despite me working for >6 months elsewhere, they're not increasing my comp in any way.
I'm attracted to the Amazon job since it's a SWE role and that's something I want career-wise, but given that the company and current economic situation have been kind of unstable, I'm hesitant to join. Does anyone have any advice for me on how to navigate this? I'm on a student Visa so I guess that's why the threat of layoffs is a bit higher in my eyes.
If your goal is to increase compensation and job security, the best path forwards would be to start interviewing and look to secure other offers. Within your current situation it seems like the variables you want to budge aren't budging, so if you want something to change you need another offer on the table.
No one's really that safe from layoffs in this economy, but big tech does have larger war chests. So Amazon's not that bad of an option if you just want to settle on a job that's relatively safe.
I like the greedy approach to career growth. If you feel like an opportunity gets you meaningfully closer to your long-term goals, take it. Waiting for the perfect opportunity doesn't work since (1) it may never come and (2) the tech industry moves so fast that your definition of 'perfect' will evolve.
Based on this, I think you should take the Amazon role because:
I would not worry about the compensation not increasing despite your 6 months of work experience. The delta would be small/symbolic anyway, perhaps $10K-$20K. The above factors are more important this early in your career.
Overall, I think the Amazon offer is pretty solid and you should take it. Here's why:
That being said, it's not like you need to put all your eggs in 1 basket and just blindly hope Amazon pans out. You should interview with other companies to fill in that >6 month gap where you won't have Amazon and as backups. If you're working at a solid place already and the Amazon offer gets rescinded 2 weeks before start or something, you'll be okay!
I'm on a student Visa so I guess that's why the threat of layoffs is a bit higher in my eyes.
Everyone is understandably down on Big Tech nowadays with the massive layoffs (and there will be a few more waves over the next 6 months probably), but I personally wouldn't worry about it too much for the following reasons:
Check out these resources as well:
Thanks for all the insightful responses!
@Alex, just to clarify, my offer was pushed >6 months ago, and I’m currently working at another company. My Amazon joining date is coming up in a couple months, and that’s what I’m wondering about. If this changes anything WRT your answer, please let me know!
@Alex, just to clarify, my offer was pushed >6 months ago, and I’m currently working at another company.
Ahh, got it. It's nice that you already have employment then as a foundation - I think this is better than what I thought!
Overall, my suggested action is the same: I think you should take Amazon.
As an additional anecdotal point, one of my good friends is an SDE 2 at Amazon and their team just took on a bunch of newgrad SDE 1s. I really don't think layoffs are a huge deal anymore, especially with Amazon approaching $1.5T market cap again. Layoff chances will definitely be much lower than industry average.