Timing for Two Weeks' Notice

Profile picture
Anonymous User at Taro Community3 months ago

I've just received an offer and am planning on putting in my two weeks notice, but the timing is quite interesting given that my company has an offsite next week. I have a few options, and I'm not sure which I should go with:

1. Give notice today. This could help us plan out what I might be able to do during the offsite to help with off-boarding.

2. Give notice during the offsite. Similar to above, but maybe more awkward after we're already there.

3. Give notice after the offsite. This would be the cleanest, but would lose out on opportunities to structure time at the offsite for off-boarding.

The main tradeoff here is mostly whether there's value in my manager knowing/planning around this for the offsite.

1 Like
39 Views
2 Comments
👑

Discussion

(2 comments)
  • Profile picture
    Android Engineer @ Robinhood
    3 months ago

    Maybe we can select the right approach by working backwards from your offboarding plan. Do you have a rough estimate of how many people you'd need to offboard and how thorough your knowledge transitions are? You could look to ballpark a time estimatr for that and use that to figure out your path forwards. In the end, 2 weeks is just a loose custom and you're able to leave whenever it's most comfortable for you (I assuming you're in the US with at-will employment).

    1 Like
  • Profile picture
    Tech Lead/Manager at Meta, Pinterest, Kosei
    2 months ago

    How much do you trust your manager?

    • If you do, I think the earlier option is best to give them and the team to prep.
    • If not, you should just wait. It's ok to be selfish here to protect yourself.

    The worst-case outcome would be that the company asks you to leave immediately after your give notice. Since you're likely ok with that given that you have another offer, I don't think you need to worry too much.

    0 Likes