1. When to start this conversation with my manager knowing org transfer is frozen till March? It might affect psc ratings.
2. Should I start talking to new managers or inform my current manager first?
3. Not sure if I will have enough impact created for mid year signal/ratings if I start looking out for new teams in March and may be join by April?
4. Will there be more jobs posted in March?
5. Please suggest some general guidance for switching teams.
When it comes to team switching (especially at Meta with its PSC culture), here's what to keep in mind:
Should I start talking to new managers or inform my current manager first?
If you like your current manager, tell them. If you don't, probably better to coordinate the move more in secret to avoid retaliation.
Lastly, when it comes to figuring out whether you should change teams, I recommend this great discussion: "How do I know when it's time to leave a team/company?"
Will there be more jobs posted in March?
I'm not sure, but I don't think this is the right way to think about career growth if you want an exceptional career as a Senior SWE.
Let me share the pattern of the engineers/PMs who have done the best in their career. They don't wait for a job posting; they have 3-4 warm leads of managers and opportunities they think are exciting.
When an opportunity comes up, they get the call first since their reputation is known. Or if they see an opportunity to make impact, they will propose a job for themselves. A senior engineer with enough influence can do this, and you're not stuck waiting for whether jobs get posted or not.